Deciding on the top ten highlights from this past year was really, really difficult. We’ve put some serious mileage on our car over the last 12 months and we’ve done some pretty amazing things.
We attend the 125th anniversary of Glenwood Hot Springs, we received a personal tour of the Leadville graveyard, one of the oldest in Colorado, we finally visited Coors Brewing in Golden, we soaked in all three hot spring resorts in Pagosa Springs and attended the beautiful and fascinating Native American Gathering at Chimney Rock.
We spent a significant amount of time in Southwest Colorado this year, a region that now has a very special place in our hearts. We even got to ride the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad several times, something I hadn’t done since I was 2-years-old.
I’ve tasted incredible wines, beers and craft spirits, and I’ve met a lot of interesting people along the way – people who are in love with our great state of Colorado just as much as I am = and that has been the best part of these last couples years – connecting with people from Pagosa Springs to Steamboat Springs who love their towns and want others to experience everything these unique communities have to offer.
I set precedent last year when I made this list, so I can only pick 10 highlights, and here they are in no particular order.
1. Ice climbing with Dawn Glanc at the Ouray Ice Park in Ouray, Colorado. Click here to read more.
2. Dog sledding with Dog Sleds of Winter Park, Colorado. Click here to read more.
3. Judging the Ullr Festival Parade & partying with Ullr himself in Breckenridge, Colorado. See photos from last year’s event here.
4. Riding the Telluride gondola through a golden forest one day and through a white forest the next day. See more photos from this trip.
5. Ziplining at Top of the Rockies outside Leadville & at Soaring Tree Tops near Durango. Read about Top of the Rockies here. I was on a magazine assignment on the Soaring Tree Tops tour.
6. Snowmobiling on my own sled for the first time in Grand Lake, Colorado. Read about my adventure here.
7. Dinner at Bin 707 Food Bar in Grand Junction, Colorado. Read about this outstanding dining experience here.
8. Winter Carnival in Grand Lake, Colorado. Read about this trip.
9. Relaxing in the pool at The Inn at Steamboat during my All Arts Festival trip & hiking atop Steamboat Resort on the same weekend.
10. My first horse and carriage ride in Durango with Dean from San Juan Sky Outfitters. Read about all our adventures in Durango here.
I can’t wait to discover what adventures 2014 has in store!
Happy New Year Citizens!